[CQ-Contest] Contest announcements in QST

jukka.klemola at nokia.com jukka.klemola at nokia.com
Fri Nov 15 11:10:37 EST 2002

Hi,
I am contest manager for the Finnish Radio Relay
League, SRAL, and I am following this ARRL approach
of trying to lure newcomers to contesting.

I will likely try something similar, time will tell.

But truth is we need more contesters.

I would like to have more stations making close to
mid-range scores, not trying to let things fall
like they seem.

More and more people are on for just an hour or less
and that is not really satisfactory for contests.

How to improve that, I do not know.

One fact I have found is the contesters participating
actively are not the target group for these attempts
of trying to lure newcomers.
I believe already contesting individuals will accept
this point in some time.
A change is in process and changes are seldom easy.

The change in the magazine and overall information
sharing structure has to be done somehow to get the
main goal achieved.

73,
Jukka, OH6LI (in CQWW CW OH0V on 15 single)