[CQ-Contest] Serial numbers off by one in SS

Tree tree at kkn.net
Fri Nov 15 13:33:26 EST 2002

I guess I haven't made this statement before (since it doesn't seem to be
general knowledge):

In the SS (and sprints) - if a received QSO number is off by one - it is
not dinged as being wrong.  This practice was started in the CW Sprints
when I wrote the log checking software for it and was inherited by the SS
programs that were written afterwards.

There were just too many times where the error was caused by the sending
station.  Since we haven't yet entered the age where a busted QSO is
removed from both logs - it didn't seem fair to put the full burden
of off by ones on the receiving station.  Pretty hard to believe someone
copied "200" instead of "199".

There have been times when it was obvious that the sending station was
out of sync by more than one QSO for an extended length of time.  When
I see this - I remove the QSOs from the SENDING station - not from the
receiving stations.  This doesn't happen very often, but it is fun for
me when it does (other than being a pain to deal with as an exception).

I probably didn't announce this before, as I didn't want to soften the
image us log checkers enjoy as being hard bottomed, inflexible, robots who
haven't done any thinking about the ramifications of our decisions or
methods.

And, in case is still isn't clear, uniques are not removed in the SS
unless they are identified as a busted call.  If anyone gets confused
on this point again, I will ask them to write it 100 times on the
chalkboard.

It could be pointed out that there are VERY FEW real uniques worked
in the SS that aren't identified as bad calls - and most of them
that I see are "second QSOs" given out by "friends".  So - really, it
would probably be a good thing if they were tossed, but in the end, it
really doesn't matter that much (unless someone's friend gets carried
away as has happnened once or twice in Louisiana and Western PA).

73 Tree N6TR
tree at kkn.net