[CQ-Contest] Filters

KØHB k0hb at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 20 04:32:01 EST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kelley Shaddrick" <kshaddri at xtratyme.com>

> After working my first SS this past weekend, I'm looking for some advice on
> filters. I run a Icom IC-746. It currently has no filters in it other then
> what comes with the radio. I notice that Icom sells a couple of different
> SSB filters for this radio. One is a 1.9 KHz filter for the 9 MHz IF, and
> the other is a 1.8 KHz filter for the 455 KHz IF (I think I have those
> right). My questions then are:
>
> 1. Do I get both filters?

Yes, get both if you can.

> 2. If not both, which single one is best?

If you only get one, get the one for the 9MHz IF.  You want the filtering to
occur as early as possible in the IF/AGC chain.

> 3. Is there a third party filter that I should consider (I really don't want
> to have to solder anything in place if possible).

I don't know if anyone else makes ICOM compatible filters.

ô¿ô  73, de Hans, K0HB
--
  Minnesota RadioSport http://www.W0AA.org
  Minnesota DXers http://www.TCDXA.org