[CQ-Contest] Filters

Ed Kucharski k3dne at adelphia.net
Wed Nov 20 14:27:30 EST 2002

Kelley,
I had the exact question a couple of years ago with my then new IC746.  I
was planning on using the 746 on 6m and 2m for vhf weak signal work,
contesting and as a back-up to my IC765 for HF contesting (which already
had narrow SSB filters in both IF's that worked very well) and I wanted to
narrow the IF to better reject adjacent frequency interference.  Like you,
I didn't want the wire-in filter mod so I compromised by purchasing the
1.9KHz Icom narrrow SSB filter for the 9MHz IF and the 1.8Khz narrow SSB
filter for the 455KHz IF from INRAD.  This combo sharpens up the IF
considerably (it almost makes rag chewing uncomfortable because of the loss
of the wider fidelity but that is easily fixed with a push of the FILTER
button to toggle back into the stock 2.4KHz Icom filters) and makes
contesting and dx'g on a crowded band much more bearable.  I have found the
IC746 with filters to be a very respectable radio.  Probably a better way
to go is to purchase the wire-in filter from INRAD for the 9MHz IF as well
as the INRAD drop in filter for the 455KHz IF but my compromise worked out
very well without any internal changes to the IC746.
INRAD's webpage is at:  http://www.qth.com/inrad/

73,
Ed K3DNE