[CQ-Contest] CQWW - are signal reports optional?

Paul O'Kane paul at ei5di.com
Sun Nov 24 19:33:48 EST 2002

In CQWW-CW I had about 450 QSOs - mostly on 10m, both
running and hunting.

In all QSOs the exchange I gave was 14 - not 5NN14, just
14.  Only four stations asked for their RST, indicating
that over 99% accept that it makes no difference (to them)
whether or not the other station gives a report.

The 99% are right - it doesn't matter!  Their logs will
show 599 received, and my log will show 599 sent.  Even
if I gave something other than 599 to the stations who
asked for a report, it still does not matter what's in
their log or in mine, as reports are not cross-checked
in CQWW.

Yes, the rules say that RS(T) should be exchanged, and
I broke the rules.  I did this to draw attention to the
rules themselves, and to the archaic practice of
exchanging 5NN in major contests.

Perhaps the rules can be updated, because a "rule" that
is not enforced is not a rule - it's a recommendation.

Recommendations are not mandatory, they're optional. It
follows, therefore, that the exchange of RS(T) in CQWW
is optional.

73,
Paul EI5DI