[CQ-Contest] CQWW - are signal reports optional?

Zack Widup w9sz at prairienet.org
Mon Nov 25 14:04:09 EST 2002

On Mon, 25 Nov 2002, Felipe J. Hernandez wrote:

> I think is very simple, if you dont get a report it is not a valid
> contact  for the Dxcc awards and others, remember that a large % of the
> contacts are just people working you knowing that they could get a QSL
> card if they want to.
>  Maybe if we could add the name...(It will kill the rate but illmake it
> so much personal,)
>  more people would be interested .

Nowhere in the DXCC rules does it require a signal report to be exchanged.
In order to have a valid contact, one other piece of information besides
the callsign must be exchanged.  It could be anything - a grid square, a
name, etc.

I have submitted cards for 50 MHz and 144 MHz QSO's for DXCC that just
listed a grid square, no signal report, and they were credited to my
totals just fine.

Contest rules may be more specific.  A signal report is supposed to be
required for CQWW but none is required for Sweepstakes or NAQP.

73, Zack W9SZ