[CQ-Contest] CQWW - are signal reports optional?

Paul O'Kane paul at ei5di.com
Mon Nov 25 23:25:13 EST 2002

At 20:29 25/11/02, Joseph B. Fitzgerald wrote:

>The signal report gives the receiving operator something to grab hold of

When I'm running, I'll send your callsign (everyone recognises their own
call) and you'll know to expect the exchange next - whatever it may be.

>... in marginal conditions hearing "5NN" tells me that the next characters
>following are the zone and not part of the call sign.  In poor conditions
>this can be a big help.

This is a theory that sounds plausible, but doesn't hold up in
practice.  I know, because I've had 750 contest QSOs in the last
month, without giving reports, except to 4 stations who asked for
it.  None of them needed it - they all got the zone - perhaps they
just couldn't adjust to the concept of a CQWW QSO without hearing
"fini" or 5NN.

>Let's keep the signal report as a requirement.

Let's accept that RS(T) is optional in practice.  Those that want
to send it can continue as if nothing ever changes.

>And please send it next contest!

I'll gladly send 59(9) to anyone who asks for a report.

73,
Paul EI5DI