[CQ-Contest] Re: MS-DOS end-of-life 31 December 2002

Doug Smith W9WI w9wi at w9wi.com
Tue Nov 26 10:01:22 EST 2002

> From: "ON5MF" <on5mf at skynet.be>
> Maybe time for the Linux-guys to take over ?
>
> Are there any contesters using Linux on this list ?
>
> Anyone ever made some decent Linux-software for (contest-) logging ?

http://home.iae.nl/users/reinc/TLF-0.2.html

When I last tried it I couldn't get cwkeyer working.  I note a new parallel
port CW module has been written, haven't tried it yet.

> From: Pete Smith <n4zr at contesting.com>
> And the urgency really isn't apparent to me, because up through Win98SE,
> DOS is still available and accessible at startup.  I am a lot more
> concerned about the disappearance of ISA slots and the impending ditto for
> serial and parallel ports.

Good point.  (and going to Linux doesn't fix this)

That said, there are a LOT of parts for the current - and past - line of computers
kicking around.  Hams have proven awfully good at keeping obsolete equipment
going; ask any of the thousands still using TS-930s, Drake C-lines, SB-220s,
SB-102s, etc..  I expect anyone who wants to keep contesting with DOS/ISA
will be able to do so for at least another decade, if not much longer.

> From: Steve Rodowicz <Stefan.Rodowicz at Verizon.net>
> Last week I couldn't find the MS-Dos 6.22 disks, so I downloaded the latest
> DR-Dos (ver 7.xx)  used it to run TR for the contest.

What's the URL?  (I tried this a few months back but couldn't find it)
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66