[CQ-Contest] Short contest calls.

Michael Keane, K1MK k1mk at arrl.net
Sat Nov 30 23:55:52 EST 2002

At 03:36 PM 11/30/02, K4SB wrote:

>Jim Reisert AD1C wrote:
> > At 05:24 PM 11/27/2002 +0000, David Robbins K1TTT wrote:
> > >I'll agree.  1x1 calls like k2g or k1b are probably not good in
> > >contests.
>
>I probably missed this, but how in the world did the FCC ever issue
>the call?

It was requested from one of the special event 1x1 callsign coordinators
like all other 1x1's.

In this case the call was requested to commemorate the "Guam Island CW-DX
Anniversary." Which is arguably no more or less contrived an artifice than
the "special events" cited by previous DXpeditions and contest operations
to justify issuance of 1x1 calls.

>It is clearly against their guidelines, except I guess, for special events.

This wasn't a permanent call issued by the FCC. Like all 1x1's it clearly
had to be a special event callsign. Which can be verified by checking the
1x1 database <http://ncvec.spindle.net/index.htm>

73,
Mike K1MK

Michael Keane, K1MK