[CQ-Contest] ARRL Discrimination

Bob Henderson bob at cytanet.com.cy
Tue Oct 1 09:15:58 EDT 2002

 Jim, K1IR makes a very persuasive argument in my view.  I am a non US
contester but I am also a fully paid up member of the ARRL and intend to
remain so. I would gain nothing myself from an earlier release of contest
results to non members. Though.......

"I'd like you to come play my game, but by the way, I'm not going to tell
you how you did until a month after everyone else, unless you pay me some
money", is a position which has a rather ugly feel to it.

There is no denying the ARRL has to operate viably as a business and has
therefore to maintain focus on securing its revenues, but this is not a good
way to aim to do it.  Someone's thinking is badly off track here.

There are many members of the contesting community around the world and many
more who may be attracted to contesting who simply don't have the luxury of
being able to afford to pay for ARRL membership.  For the ARRL to take steps
to further disadvantage these folks is IMHO unnecessary and wholly
undesirable.

For my money as a member of ARRL I would like to see staging of results
release abandoned forthwith and all efforts applied to finding ways to
further speed up results publication.  We all hate the long wait for results
to appear.

73

Bob 5B4AGN, P3F, ZC4ZM