[CQ-Contest] Out of Band operating

John Geiger johngeig at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 31 08:56:11 EST 2002

Before the flames start too much on my next comments,
understand that I am mainly a CW operator, who is
getting interested in the digital modes also.

Maybe part of the solution to operating out of band is
to reaccess the US phone band limits.  Take 15 meters
for example.  SInce the ARRL helped to kill the Novice
license 10 years ago, why do we need 100 KC of CW only
at 200 watts between 21.100 to 21.200.  Remember that
during the CW CQWW contest.  When a US station goes
above 21.100, as they will if we get any decent
propogation, turn off the amp.  Same for
28.100-28.200.

There really is no reason today for having a "Non US
phone band" like there may have been in the past.  The
days of the US ham having the good equipment and the
rest of the world having to operate on junk are over.
Hams in JA, EU, Asia, SA are using stations that would
put many US hams, myself included, to shame.

There is no reason we could not drop the bottom of the
US phone band to 21.150, or .140, while saving a few
KCs for the novices that still remain.  There are a
few, I worked one last year on 15 CW.  Same for 80
meters.  I believe we could easily drop phone down to
3.650 or so, which would eliminate much of the split
operation now needed there.  We already have the
3.500-3.600 segment for CW, and 3.600 -3.700 is pretty
much a vast wasteland here in the US with little CW or
digital operating taking place.  Ditto for 14.100 to
14.150.

Lets get with the times and get the US phone bands
readjusted, especially now since we are handing out
general and extra class licenses to anyone who can
sign their names, and these new operators, for the
most part, are not running CW for obvious reasons.

73s John NE0P