[CQ-Contest] Re: ARRL Discrimination

Sylvan Katz jskatz at sk.sympatico.ca
Thu Sep 26 18:43:19 EDT 2002

Kelly,

>in the world who truly are victims of discrimination. Someone has to pay
the
>bills and I see nothing wrong with giving the people who do pay the bills
>the right to a perk like early posting of contest results.

With all due respect it seems that something has gone unnoticed.

Not only do the contesters need the sponsors but the sponsors need the
contestants. The sponsor pays with money and voluteener time while the
contestants pay with enthusiasm and their participation time.

I believe that in this sort of symbiotic relationship all contestants should
be treated equally. All contestants have the right to know their standing in
a contest at the same time -- irrespective of whether or not they are a
member of the sponsoring community. However, the sponsors, I believe, have
every right to charge for a value-added service fee (subscription) for such
things as color commentary,  statistics and other analysis, etc they can
create from the activities of the contestants.

The current approach has the appearance that there is a parasitic
relationship between the contestant and the sponsor instead of a symbiotic
one. I believe is not a good image for the amateur radio community as a
whole.

.. sylvan

Ô¿Ô¬
Sylvan Katz, VE5ZX
Saskatoon, SK
"A Novel Perspective of Amateur Radio Contesting" at
http://www.dynamicforesight.com/~ve5zx