[CQ-Contest] RIT offset as QRM clue

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Sun Sep 1 10:31:17 EDT 2002

I've been wondering. When running in contests, I've noticed that sometimes
stations answering tend to be .1-.2 kHz higher or lower than my
frequency.  When this pattern emerges, if I check in the "opposite
direction" I quite often find a relatively loud signal close to my
frequency on that side.

I'm guessing that people are tuning me in and tending to "lean" away from
the QRM, and it often seems as if I can improve my run rate by shifting
frequency a little in the direction that the majority of callers are
"coming from."

Am I just describing something that everyone else knows about, or am I all
wet, or is this useful?

73, Pete N4ZR
Sometimes a tower is just a tower