[CQ-Contest] Re: TS-850 vs. TS-940

David L. Thompson thompson at mindspring.com
Wed Sep 4 15:53:39 EDT 2002

I feel that getting to know how to use the receiver section of the
transceiver is very important.  I have heard the knocks on the TS 850 on 160
Overload) and also have been in first hand competition with the TS 940.  In
1988 I was helping N4HOH in a small M/S effort in the CQ WW SSB.  Nearby was
M/M K4JPD.  I was running stations on 10 SSB with my FT 980 somewhere around
28.760 and at a lull Steve K4JPD broke in and asked what I was using.  He
said he could hear the stations I was working but the QRM was so bad he and
the 10 meter op could not run as I was doing.  I am sure his signal was 5 or
10DB more than my 1KW to a TH7.

He and the 10 meter Op had very little experience on the TS 940 but I don't
believe the FT 980 is that much better than the 940.
Learning to use the receiver system (filters, offset tuning) is important as
it was years ago with our separate receivers.  Maybe its tunable ears such
as N4PN (ex W4YWX) is supposed to have but knowing the receiver and using it
to the max helps!

73 Dave K4JRB