[CQ-Contest] Kenwood TS-830S problem

Jeffrey Clarke ku8e1 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 6 20:10:28 EDT 2002

 Wonder if anyone out there is still using a Kenwood TS830S ?

 I use mine for my 2nd radio when I do SO2R. I haven't used it for
about a year since I didn't have a station set up. I am now putting a
small station back together since we recently moved into a place where
I can have antennas again.

I am experiencing the following symptoms :

When I first turn on the radio it seems like the receiver is almost
dead. The CW Calibrator has no reading/or very low on the S meter.
If you let the radio "warm up" for about 5 minutes or so the receiver
starts to return to normal and the S meter readings seem to be OK. I
have adjusted the ANT and MIX coils per the instructions in the manual
but this has not resolved my problem. Maybe I need a new driver tube
-12BY7A ???

 Anyone ever remember having this problem ???

               73's Jeff KU8E