[CQ-Contest] 2002 ARRL DX Phone Results Available

Kelly Taylor ve4xt at mb.sympatico.ca
Thu Sep 26 13:20:21 EDT 2002

Yikes. I thought this ARRL Web thing was a really big issue!

Imagine, a private, for-profit organization that structures its affairs in
such a way that profits are at least retained, if not augmented somewhat.
Capitalist pigs!

In all honesty, CQ does not run WW because it wants to teach the world to
sing. It runs WW (and other contests) as part of a larger plan to sell
magazines. And that is its core business. Dick's a nice guy, and probably
very philanthropic, but how many people run a business for nothing?

If it then gave away contest results, how many single-copy sales would be
lost? How many subscriptions would lapse? I don't know, but I'm pretty sure
the margins at CQ are slim enough that it would hurt, perhaps fatally. If
nothing else, it would likely remove any incentive to actually run the
contests.

If it is too much to buy one copy of CQ to see the results of 48 hours
operating, untold construction hours and thousands of dollars of capital
outlay, then I really do fear for this hobby.

73, kelly
ve4xt