[CQ-Contest] Telephone RFI

Dave Hachadorian k6ll at juno.com
Wed Apr 2 08:53:53 EST 2003

On Tue, 1 Apr 2003 13:47:49 EST Georgek5kg at aol.com writes:

> I am considering purchasing a replacement telephone for a neighbor
> who is
> bothered by my RFI.  (Remember, we just finished an SSB contest).
>
> Which are the new telephones known to be impervious to RFI?  Also,
> what
> telephone RFI filters are the best.  I have a K-Com filter on their
> phone
> now, but it does little good.
>
> 73, George, K5KG

George,

Try the Radio Shack ET-296 series phones (e.g. 43-874, white, $14.99).
Carefully unpackage the phone, saving all packaging material.
If it doesn't solve the problem, pack it up, and take it back for a
refund.

If this phone receives interference, try unplugging all other
phones in the house, including modems, answering machines,
satellite TV receivers, etc. One of these could be generating
AUDIO interference and putting it out onto the phone line. If so,
an rfi filter on the offending unit should solve that problem.
I had that problem with a DirecTV satellite receiver once.

Radio Shack carries a telephone rfi filter, 43-150, for $11.99.
On close inspection, it appears identical to the K-Com RF-1,
and is considerably less expensive.

By the way, those little family radio HT's are great for coordinating
rfi tests, with a licensed ham at your shack transmitting, and you
at the neighbor's. It is much better than using the telephone :>)

Let us know how it works out.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ

.