[CQ-Contest] QRZed - guess again

George Fremin III geoiii at kkn.net
Thu Apr 3 12:36:43 EST 2003

There have been a number of posts to this list recently
saying that there is no reason for stations to ever
just say QRZ or Thanks at the end of a contact.

Indeed many posters are of the opnion that everyone must
sign their callsign each and everytime with the possible
exception of some super rare DX outside of a contest.

Some have even gone so far as to suggest that you
should make a list of these offenders and make a point
of never working them again.

At the risk of getting on the "offender" list I will confess
that there are times during every contest that I will
end a contact with a simple QRZ or Thanks or TU.
I do this from the rare state of Texas - by no means rare DX.

If this operating technique is used with care and skill I
think you will find your contest scores can benefit.

I too have been annoyed by the operators who rarely send
their callsigns - in fact as recently as this past weekend
but most of the time I find it is the inexperiance of many
of those operators that causes us to be annoyed with
their attempted use of a very useful contest technique.

The very skilled operators use this technique many times
during a contest weekend but because they usually know when
and how to use it with great skill and advantage to both
themselves and their callers - it is hardly noted that
they are not signing their callsigns after each contact
during the contest period.

Several years ago during a thread very much like the current one
N6AA made a post to CQ-Contest on this subject.
He has some very good thoughts on this topic.

You can find it here:

http://lists.contesting.com/_cq-contest/1998-July/014573.html

--
George Fremin III - K5TR