[CQ-Contest] QSLing

Merrimon Crawford Pladsen ab0mv at ix.netcom.com
Wed Aug 6 19:17:04 EDT 2003

We have discussed this QSLing ad nauseum.

Some people are considerate of others and some are not/are rude,
self-centered jerks.  This is true of contesters as much as anyone else.

As far as I am concerned, not QSLing is rude.  To those who do not QSL and
steal my IRCs/SASEs, I try my hardest not to QSO them.  If they try to
answer my CQ in a contest they'll get a "No QSL, no QSO."  On the other
hand, I do make an effort to QSL those who have been kind enough to
QSL.  For some people like KH6ND and his assorted used call signs (as well
as W6EEN, N6ZZ, and many others on my plus list), I even make an effort to
work them just for the fun of it....and that includes getting on the air
when I am not even contesting just to see if I hear those contest buddies
and then work them....and since we have a family station and a club call,
that can add up.

To all the $$$$ complaints about contesting from big guns....no sympathy
when I see the $$$$ mega buck equipment you are using.

As to the time complaints....not much sympathy there either.  Make the
time.  It should just be part of contesting.  If you don't have time, then
ask some of those operators who are part of your M/M or M/S
operations-----if someone operates at your station, then it should be
expected that they help out....I remember being told KL7Y operators often
did QSLing while there during down times.  Hey, invite some youngster to
use your station and in exchange have them QSL for you.  I have offered to
help out several big contesters but so far no takers.

You gotta wonder if the sorry attitude of non-QSLing contesters contributed
to the disappearance of contest results in QST by contributing to the
anti-contester attitudes.  Good job, folks!

If you want this hobby to flourish, then be considerate to others.

73
Merri AB0MV