[CQ-Contest] RE: QSL/LOTW

N7MAL N7MAL at CITLINK.NET
Sat Aug 9 20:33:35 EDT 2003

Ron I'm not writing off LOTW, I'm just a little discouraged by the beta test
results. I would really like to see it become a success. The beta test was
very well promoted by the ARRL, various mailing lists, etc.
I would enjoy hearing from the development team to gain insight as to what
their expectations were from the beta test. Is a less than 5% confirmed
rate on target? Did they receive the millions of QSO's necessary to exorcize
the bugs from the software? Are there plans in the future for mirror sites
to make it easier for Europeans, Russians, and Asia? Will the upload
software be simplified?
I'm all fired up and ready to upload whenever it goes on line for
real.......

MAL                N7MAL
BULLHEAD CITY, AZ
www.citlink.net/~suzyq/N7mal.htm
www.geocities.com/n7mal
----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron Notarius WN3VAW" <wn3vaw at fyi.net>
To: <cq-contest at contesting.com>
Sent: Saturday, August 09, 2003 12:15 AM
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] RE: QSL/LOTW

Isn't it just a might early to write off Logbook of the World?  We've been
waiting for it for years, and now that it's almost here and we can
participate in the beta, it's already not effective?

One must give things a chance!  Even eQSL didn't have alleged millions &
millions of QSO's listed overnight!

However, I would definitely agree that there is a contingent of eQSL zealots
who have preaching long and loud that their's is the only way to go, and
many of these are indeed sowing confusion.  There should be no confusion.
While both systems are, in essence, databases of logs, eQSL provides a
graphic file that is supposed to substitute for a QSL card, and some related
QSL services for a small fee; while LotW will provide secure electronic
confirmations for the purposes of ARRL (and eventually other) award programs
(but no QSL services).

73, ron wn3vaw

Klaatu Barada Niktu