[CQ-Contest] Weapons of Mass QSLing

Doug Smith W9WI w9wi at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 13 11:00:14 EDT 2003

I don't work on quite that scale but maybe this information could be
useful...

My scheme is similar to Ron WN3VAW's.  I use the MySQL open-source
database engine running on the Linux machine in the den.  (Windows
versions of all the tools I'll mention are also available)  A Perl
script allows me to load QSOs into the database from a Cabrillo file -
I've got another one that reads ADIF but it's not seen any use since
importing my old LogWindows log.

Another pair of Perl scripts print the QSLs.  I have one routine that
prints directly on the cards, which I use when there are only a few
cards being sent.  Another routine prints on Avery 5160 labels; I use
that when a bureau shipment comes in.  (if your printer's paper feed
mechanisms can hold more than one blank card at a time, you could
directly print all your cards without using labels)  (if I were more
patient I could directly print all my cards without using labels<grin>!)

In my case I have a field that indicates a card should be printed for
this QSO.  If you wanted to "blanket-QSL" you could use a quick SQL
command to tag every QSO for which a card hadn't already been sent.  Or
some other criteria.  Using a database system allows you to decide which
QSOs you want to print cards for - you aren't dependent on what some
log-program writer thought you'd want.

Day-to-day QSOs also go into this database, by way of CGI scripts and a
webserver running on the Linux machine.  Any web browser on the same
network as the webserver can enter QSOs.  This way, when making casual
QSOs I can tell whether I've worked the guy before in a contest, and
thank him for the contest QSO(s).  Every little bit helps<grin>.

Works great! - and I've paid not a penny for software.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN  EM66