[CQ-Contest] my FRIEND is spotting me

Bob Naumann - N5NJ n5nj at gte.net
Fri Dec 5 08:53:45 EST 2003

In a message dated 12/3/03 9:30:36 PM Central Standard Time,
> kr2q at optonline.net writes:
>
> > It seems to me that if your "friend" is spotting you multiple times,
then this is equivalent to self-spotting.

And KI9A responds:
> Say what??
>
> At what number of spots does this change from just spotting your pal, to
helping him "self spot"???
> ... , but, if I want to spot a pal, what is the harm?

This is precisely the point.  When does it transition from just randomly
spotting a friend, and when does it become a planned effort?

What if your "friend" asks everyone in your club to listen for him, and spot
him if you hear him?  Imagine this: " I'm going to the Caribbean and want to
win, so come on guys, spot me, and spot me often."  What if there's an
"understanding" that you'll all do this, without saying it in so many words?
Seems to me it's effectively the same thing.

No harm?  I think not.

In my mind, this situation violates several of rules of most contests.

1) You have enlisted others to help improve your score - in effect, you are
no longer single op.
2) Now that you are multi-op or assisted, you are adding operators outside
the geographical limits for your operation.
3) Again, considering that you now are technically multi-op, you now have
violated the self-spotting rule.

You really violate all 3 as a single op, and only the last two as a
multi-op.

Random acts of kindness .i.e; spotting someone else on your own, without
being asked to do so, whether you know them or not, is not a problem.

If someone asks you to spot them, remind them to list you as an operator in
their multi-op.

73,
N5NJ