[CQ-Contest] Contest Conflicts

Jimk8mr at aol.com Jimk8mr at aol.com
Fri Dec 12 14:32:57 EST 2003

In a message dated 12/10/03 12:22:04 PM Pacific Standard Time, tree at kkn.net
writes:

> It was quickly determined that the weekend of January 31/Feb 1 would be
> a better time for the contest.  Therefore, the "new formula" for the CW
> Sprint date in February contains an exception for when the contest falls
> on Valentines Day, where it will jump up two weeks (before the phone
> Sprint).  This still avoids any conflict with the FOC marathon.

This happens on one out of seven calendar possiblities, when January 31 falls
on a Saturday and February 1 falls on a Sunday.

Since most contests work on a "N-th full weekend of the month" schedule, and
the 31/1st is not a full weekend, split month weekends like the one coming up
don't have many contests.  Putting a Sprint there is a great idea, but I'm
sure everyone (including the sponsors) wishes they had realized this long before
now.

Thanks to the National Football League, and the Super Bowl derived dates for
the VHF SS, this year we do have a major contest conflict - the CQ 160 CW
contest and the ARRL VHF SS are being held the same weekend, January 24-25.

Of course this may be good...   If you get tired of slow hours on 160 on
Saturday evening, you can pull out that DC to light transceiver and make some
extra contest QSOs on VHF.  Likewise, you can have something to do during the
daylight hours, including those spent waiting around for the last couple of hours
of the 160 test on Sunday evening. (At least for those on the East Coast).

73  -  Jim  K8MR