[CQ-Contest] LOTW question

Joe Subich, K4IK k4ik at subich.com
Mon Dec 29 12:46:15 EST 2003

Like Doug, all of my "hard copy" QSLs have been uploaded
to LotW.  I have (had?) been entering the old paper logs
going back to 1976 but am beginning to doubt that there
is enough of a payoff to justify the effort.

The "oldest" LotW QSL is DK6NP on 5/26/1979 ... However,
the QSL "yield" from logs prior to 1999 is running
about 0.1% (one QSL per 1000 QSOs) compared to about
15% for QSOs in 1999 and after.

I'll probably continue to computerize my old paper contest
logs for my own benefit but it will not be a priority.  I
will not be in any hurry to upload them to LotW and will
not count on the confirmations when I update my DXCC records
(ARRL HQ wants me to resubmit more than 1000 cards [5BDXCC,
160 DXCC, 300+ phone, 300+ CW] and charge me again for the
privelege of doing so - in order to update my records).

73,

   ... Joe, K4IK