[CQ-Contest] New tactic for finding a run frequency?

Mike Gilmer, N2MG n2mg at eham.net
Sat Feb 22 13:38:27 EST 2003

I don't recall hearing about this in the past, but it happened to me
several times during ARRL DX CW.  I would be running on a frequency for
several minutes/an hour/whatever and along would come a station
(usually quite loud) that plops down really close and starts
pressing the CQ button...over and over and over for more than a minute
without a pause - no attempt to see if the frequency was busy, or if
there was even an answer to the CQ.

I guess this is some brute-force attempt to "clear" the frequency.
Perhaps when it's time to change bands, they swish the dial, then hit
F1 ten times, loading the buffer and out goes 10 CQs, non-stop.

After working some stations through the din (periodically sending a
short QRL/QSY on their frequency) I eventually had to do the same to
them - sending QRL QSY N2MG over and over on top of them - and they
would leave.  At the risk of being accused of generalizations, I'll
state a simple fact: They were all eastern EU DX or same operating
portable in the US.

Perhaps it's nothing new to some of you guys, and perhaps I've
experienced this before (I don't recall) but it could not have been
in the volume of the past weekend.

73 Mike N2MG