[CQ-Contest] ICE 419 DIN

Fred Hopengarten k1vr at juno.com
Mon Feb 24 12:33:10 EST 2003

In 1999, I ordered an ICE 419 band pass filter box. When we (K1EP-- who
is a real engineer-- and I) went to install it to be controlled by a Top
Ten Devices box, the DIN jack seemed to be wired backwards. 160 came up
when 10 should have come up.

We discovered that the manual didn't match the wiring. The question we
faced was:  Should we change the manual to match the wiring, or the
wiring to match the manual? We decided that it was easy to make a mistake
at the soldering station, but surely they wouldn't put out faulty
manuals.

Over the ARRL DX CW weekend, I loaned my ICE 419 to the K1IR station,
which had been previously wired for a 419 that belonged to W1VE. We
discovered that the W1VE box obvioulsy came from the factory wired as was
the original K1VR box.

Before I rewire the DIN and change the documentation, has anyone else had
the same experience? And, while I've got the box open, anything special
we should do to it, as I notice that the same box is now called the 419A.
What's that all about?

Tks.

Fred Hopengarten K1VR                       hopengarten at post.harvard.edu
Six Willarch Road * Lincoln, MA 01773-5105
781/259-0088 *eFax 419/858-2421