[CQ-Contest] Re: Clever Solution for moving a tower

Ward Silver hwardsil at centurytel.net
Wed Feb 26 08:05:24 EST 2003

> Ok guys, looking for some clever solutions.  I just bought a tower, MA-550
> with raising fixture and rotor base, sort of used.  It's in Portland, I'm
in
> Seattle (250 miles away).  It was an opportunity I just couldnt pass up. I
> now need to go pick it up.  It's too heavy for a couple of guys to get it.
> There arent any rental co's that I can find such that I can rent a trailer
> so perhaps a tow could put it onto.  It's 435 lbs, 22 feet long.
> Suggestions on how to get it up here?
>
> Michael Hatzakis, Jr

The suggestion about car trailers is a good one. When I moved mine, Ken
KG7VW used a contractor's trailer for hauling building materials. You might
check with some contractor friends about that.

To move the tower around, once it's horizontal, I found five friends (at
each end of the trip), and made three rope slings.  Two guys would pick up
each rope sling (I used pieces of garden hose as the handles) and we could
easily pick it up (about 70# apiece) and walk it around.

73, Ward N0AX