[CQ-Contest] My Quiet Monitor

Jim Idelson k1ir at designet.com
Thu Jan 9 21:27:34 EST 2003

About a month ago I bought a Samsung SyncMaster 171MP. This baby is 17", nice
and bright, and takes TV-IN, too. I have a tuner hooked up to it so I can watch
CNN in the PIP while I work. I use this monitor for work and play - lots of
hours in front of the computer make a great monitor a necessity. It runs 1280 x
1024 - very nice for viewing lots of information in a bunch of windows during a
contest. At nearly $800, it is not cheap - but when I picked mine up there was
a good end-of-year rebate offer of $200. I don't know if that deal is still
available.

WARNING! These monitors don't generate any noise . . . but the switching power
supplies do! I had to dress cables differently and move the power supply away
from the RF area in the shack in order to keep things quiet.

Costco has a nice looking LCD monitor by Envision at a great price, but be
careful - the contrast ratio and color rendition is not as good as a lot of the
other monitors I looked at.

Anyway, get an LCD - you will be pleased!

Jim Idelson K1IR
email    k1ir at designet.com
web    http://www.designet.com/k1ir