[CQ-Contest] NAQP - it IS a serious contest

Jim White, K4OJ k4oj at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Jan 13 10:47:29 EST 2003

I think the NAQP has finally cemented its presence by virtue of the
tremendous amount of club activity - many radio clubs are using it for
training purposes in prep for Sweepstakes, etc and the increased
activity leveks allow the big guns to stay busy for their ten hours.

Because the exchange is simplistic it is perfect for training SO2R - and
the higher activity levels allow those who do use SO2R to stay busy the
whole time.

NAQP is a perfect marriage with station auotmation and with two rigs
automatically tracking band changes in the software and making sure the
correct antenna is attached to the rig a dit later a Q can be made on
another band.

All this one takes is a sharp mind to keep focus and no TV QRM (January
NFL playoffs are inavoidable) for the time to literally fly by... sure
glad the Bucs performed their carnage on Sunday.

Congratulations to the proponents of NAQP who said be patient - looks
like their time has indeed arrived - days when I could land in the Top
Ten in this one simply by operating 10 hours are long gone!

How the heck do you guys get in the SO2R groove at the gitgo?  Seems
like it takes a few hours before I sort things out and then I get a
headache!

73,

Chuckie, K4OJ