[CQ-Contest] When is CW interfering with Phone?

Kevin Anderson k9iua at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 15 07:02:40 EST 2003

Following this thread with NAQP and "dark side"
got me wondering again about something I didn't
know the answer for this last weekend -

When am I as a CW operating still overlapping or
interfering with a SSB (phone) station?

In particular, how far from the phone QSO must
I be - until I can't it at all (i.e. outside of
the 3 khz bandwidth)?

As one who tends to operate toward the upper part
of the normal CW areas in contests due to my
slower code speak, and often weaker (QRPer) signal
to begin with, to find a frequency, I often run
up against phone and other digital signals.
When do I know the other stations shouldn't be
hearing me or my interfering with them?  I want
to be a "good neighbor", but I also want to find
a frequency...

Cheers/73,
Kevin, K9IUA

=====