[CQ-Contest] Again?

Dick Pechie kb1h at myeastern.com
Fri Jan 24 19:47:48 EST 2003

The idea on a new category for SO2R has really reached  the limit on
"watering" down the competition to the point that there is no competition!

Can we have categories decided by the amount of sleep you get or the number
of bathroom visits during the contest?

I wish I was there to verify the story that the oldest member (K1DNW age 97)
of our local club tells of K1ZND ( now K1ZZ) during Field Day in the
mid-sixties to have been tuning a second receiver under the operating table
with his feet as he was running QSOs on the main twin set up. Yes,
transceivers were rare. Mohawk and Apache pairs were more common. New
category, "Using feet for tuning on a second receiver".

The "Best Ops" use what they have the ability or the resources to use. SO2R
might put K5ZD on the top but only by the slimmest of margins. If we keep
creating niches for each style of operating then what happens to the
competition? Ten stations per operating class? Does it really make sense to
keep creating these micro-classifications of competition?

The ARRL  and other contest sponsors need to spend time on other ideas to
increase contest activity rather than trying to make everyone a winner.
After all, when you spend a few hours on a weekend to jump into the
competition you're already a winner.

73 Dick - KB1H

Visit  "The Barnstormers Contest Group - NZ1U"
website http://www.qsl.net/kb1h/

Email: KB1H at arrl.net    YCCC--------> http://www.yccc.org/

KB1H DXSpider Node ---------> dxc.kb1h.com port 7300