[CQ-Contest] Advantages - guest ops - Puerto Rico and 2 point rules

Peter Grillo, Sr. ah3c at frii.com
Sat Jan 25 07:08:55 EST 2003

Fellow contesters -

Tree's remarks below need to be included in one of the updated chapters
about single-op competition in the contester's cookbook.....

We all have looked for advantages in the overall competitive spirit of
contesting.  I first got the hint when Chip (K6JA)went down to Pedro's
(NP4A, then KP4RF).  Yes, it is a 2-point country, but he won CQWW CW and SS
phone that year.  Perhaps there was an element of surprise in his doing this
that gave him a little more advantage.  We all knew Pedro as a phone op
...KP4AST at the time: "Atlantic Standard Time".  This was a CW first for
him.  Pedro invited me the following year so I had first hand knowledge of
what it takes.  We won SS but came in 2nd in CQWW.  The game was up....it
was time for contesters to find that location advantage and search they did!
However, clear knowledge of the mutual goals with the host of a superstation
ahead of time is part of the overall advantage buildup.  Guest operating
takes the location advantage to the top, but knowledge of your own skills
and ability to set up the ideal station hardware at a moment's notice is to
be applauded.

I also recognize your point in station familiarity.  N2IC is my benchmark.
Steve's two broadside towers and stacked beams in mid-USA is a dynamite
combination for SS, as he has demonstrated in the past.  He once invited me
to do exactly that, so he could run up to Wyoming and guest op.  Maybe he
wanted to compare operating skills and witness from a remote location what
his station can do by someone else.  I was honored to be chosen as his
student.  Certainly he had proven that the station advantage was there.
However, I failed him because he stomped me.  Why did this happen?  It was
several factors:

    I had never used his two ICOM radios.  I should have brought my
FT-1000's because of familiarity with the functions..
    I did not spend enough time in advance going over the station with Steve
to learn all the seamless antenna switching functions well enough.
    I had not trained in SO2R, thus my ears were not prepared for the
elegance of this tool.
    My multi-tasking skills have slowed, due to my physical aging factor.

Winning SS takes a great amount of preparation ahead of time.  It was an
extremely great honor to be invited to Gordon Marshall's superstation, W6RR,
to do SS CW from there for the first time.  He had me visit his station
several weeks ahead of the event and set it up just so I could be
comfortable with operating.  We went over the antenna switching over and
over and over.  I thought he was being overbearing at times about this.
What he wanted to assure me was that RF always got to the right place.  In
those days, we didn't have computer switching.  Relay boxes were high
maintenance if abused.  His diligence worked.  It is tough to win SS from
6-land, but it can be done.  I would love to hear from Lew Gordon (K4VX)
about his Elmering Jeff (N5TJ) to the top of current world-class
competition.  There was a glow in his eyes when Jeff came up to him after
WTRC 2002 and simply said "Thanks, Boss".

Winning CQWW puts location at the apex of the advantages.  HC8, EA8, PY0,
C4, etc. are all great 3-point locations.  You must have a great location to
win this one.  Station preparation requires the additional skill of being a
DX-peditioner.  Jim Neiger (N6TJ) and many others do this every year.  And
what about the "flying Finns"....they know the location and pre-contest
preparation as a science in their repertoire.

What we all frown on is "bending the rules".  Innovation within the rules is
cool stuff.  It has helped enhance the challenge within all of us.  I have
no patience for the complainers that keep crying about this or that minor
issue in contesting.  Frankly, I applaud all contest sponsors and elmers for
tolerating us mavericks.  It is still the magic of radio that keeps the
spark alive.  Competition simply adds to the thrill!

73,
Pete
W0RTT, etc.