[CQ-Contest] So2R

Cqtestk4xs at aol.com Cqtestk4xs at aol.com
Sat Jan 25 23:28:01 EST 2003

In a message dated 1/25/03 4:42:23 PM Greenwich Standard Time,
jskatz at sk.sympatico.ca writes:

<< Packet is a 'trick of the trade' --  it has its own category for single
ops. >>

Packet is NOT a trick of the trade.....It IS getting active assistance in S/P
ing for multipliers from another human being....a second or third op.  Having
the abiltiy to copy 60 WPM or to copy on one xcvr and tranmitting on a second
xcvr IS a trick of the trade.  The operator is not getting any active
asssitance from another human being in copying 60 WPM or doing a two radio
operation.  If some guy is sitting there in the shack helping the operator
find stations or copying the cw for him, that's a different story.

Again, we heard all the stuff before back in the 80s when computer logging
was coming into use....unfair advantage...blal blah blah. The computer sends
CW.  It changes the bands for the op.  It keeps track of multipliers and
dupes.  It tells me beam headings.  Jeez, some guys can even use it to turn
their beams to the correct heading.  Come to think of it, maybe we need
another classification for operators with assistance from computers to turn
their antennas. It sounds like an unfair advantage to me. I can't do it with
my rotors.

Bill K4XS