[CQ-Contest] SO2R

Sean Fleming k8khz at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 26 09:17:13 EST 2003

My Opinon for what it is worth.

How I see if I had 2 radios.  I belive that I might be some what faster and able to work a pileup at the same time as I am calling cq sort of. Though you are only one operator. I see that SO2R is just like a packet assisted station. So, I could see how this shoule be separated from regular single op and they should be grouped along with the multi-op if the contest calls for that. If there is not a set rule for  assisted stations as being multi-op then I suppose that then they would be grouped with the single ops with only 1 radio. But see what I find to happen is lets say you are SO2R with you are not claiming to be packet and you are grouped with Single ops still. I suppose that assisted catagory should include 2 radios in my eyes.

Note: I find it absurd that in the last two postings with the guest op deal and also the SO2R. It apperars to me as though the people who have been winning in some catagories with advantages no matter what they may be are happy to win of course. What is seen here is opposition to distinguish the use of these advantages that are not currently made. Such as if you are at home or at someone elses station using an antenna advantage or weather it is a advantage of using two radios. it is fine if you want to group everyone together even though it really is not fair. But I guess if you want to win youwill have to get 2 radios, run packet spots, get a bigger antenna system. Maybe this is what is driving some away from contesting HMM

Since we are talking about assisted. What I would like to see is maybe a separation of keyboard/automated assisted CW sending. I have used both. I know that sending with a keyboard is much faster . But some people are going overboard with the sending speeds that are uncopyable in the contests. So fast that unless you are running software to copy  it or you are an expert copier at 30+ WPM then you can get it.  I Belive that if we all stopped sending so fast maybe come oldtime cw ops might come work the contest or give you a qso.

I hope that noone here gets me wrong by this post. I love contesting. So,  good luck to all.

sean

check out my website @ http://www.k8khz.com

You can reach me mobile on the Echolink callsign W8OAK.

Add me to your instant messenger AIM, Yahoo, ICQ. USER Name K8KHZ.