[CQ-Contest] computers ruined contesting

David A. Pruett k8cc at comcast.net
Thu Jul 3 19:45:34 EDT 2003

Since Mr. Zack has seen fit to impugn the ARRL 10M log checking process, I
feel compelled to respond.

Contest.  I also provided additional details to augment the information in
the report.

While I would like nothing better than to post the details of that e-mail
here on the reflector, I will respect Mr. Zack's privacy and refrain from
doing so.  However, I will say that of the eleven QSOs which the DU1/K6ACZ
entry lost in logchecking, NOT ONE QSO WAS DUE TO THE PROBLEM HE ALLEGES
(DU/K6ACZ not being recognized as DU1/K6ACZ).

I'm trying to be civil so that the list moderator can pass this message in
good conscience.  However, it really irritates me when people post messages
to the list containing accusations when they don't know what they're
talking about.

I don't think there is a log checking team out there that will claim their
process to be perfect.  Perfection IS the goal - how close you can get is a
matter of judgement.

One more thing - those of you griping about log checking need to get a
grip.  Make no mistake - getting the QSO right is the expectation in ANY
contest.  The contesters who are respected (fill in the blank here) accept
this and use this as motivation try to do better.

K8CC