[CQ-Contest] Recording

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Mon Jul 21 23:08:54 EDT 2003

Kelly,

I think taping a contest is perfectly fine as long as one
doesn't replay the tape until after the log is turned in.
Although I have never done it, I think it would be interesting
to go back and the compare busted QSOs in my UBN
report with a tape of the contest. I would liken this to
football teams watching tapes of previous games. Aside
from identifying mistakes in my own operating, it might
even reveal weaknesses in the rules used by log
checkers to assess penalties.

BTW, I agree that using a tape (or others means) to
massage a log after the fact is not within the spirit
of the rules. But this does bring up an interesting
question - what if you review the tape during the
contest period where the time spent doing the review
is actual operating time (say you want to go back
and listen to your QSO with that FR5 station who
prompty QSYed to make sure you got his call right).
And if this is verboten, how about those digitizer
parrots that record a few seconds of RX audio that
can  be immediately played back? Seems like
this might be a gray area.