[CQ-Contest] Recording

Esa Korhonen esa.korhonen at picengineering.com
Tue Jul 22 11:21:56 EDT 2003

Fellow contesters,

I agree with Kelly, but I'd like to remind that the practice of
recording a contest can benefit you also other ways than going back and
massage the log.

I often like to put on the headphones and listen to something while I'm
in the office. But...the CD that I put in is not Sting's, it is not
Madonna's, or anybody famous'. It is the CD that has my previous
contest(s) on it. I'm listening myself operating. Not that I'd like my
voice or my way of sending CW, but to LEARN. You can hear things you
didn't have no idea of in the contest. You hear all your mistakes. You
can recognize when the fatigue hit and you didn't realize it while
running. I have re-lived many past contests at least a half a dozen
times. If you have not tried it yet, well, hook up a PC or other type of
recorder for the next contest and try. It really is worth it.

In the long run, learning to know your weak points will certainly
benefit more than fixing a few QSO's in the log.

73,
Esa OH7WV

Oh, contesting and golf do have another difference too. I don't play
golf, but I think it is pretty much impossible to cheat when you are
playing in a big tournament. Contest...well, you know.