[CQ-Contest] Contesting from the basement

Barry w2up at mindspring.com
Thu Jul 24 20:43:02 EDT 2003

On 24 Jul 2003 Glenn O'Donnell, K3PP wrote:

>I REALLY like
> the idea raised in this thread about the ground rods through the floor.  The
> next QTH will have these installed BEFORE the floor is poured. Great
> concept, guys!

One more note about ground rods. I had the foresight to have the
builder install two ground rods just where I wanted them, before the
concrete was poured for the basement. I had the shack all figured out
even before the house was built. He even dug the holes and poured the
concrete for my tower base and guy anchors, and installed a buried 4
inch PVC from the tower base to the house (with my supervision - he
tried to get away with digging the holes only 2 feet deep!)  It was
part of the building contract.
But,
little did I know (or ask) where the builder was going to put the oil
tank, blower for the heater, etc. Yup, you guessed it. Within 3 feet
of my ground rods. And, of course, he didn't ask me why I wanted the
ground rods installed.
So, I would up hack sawing those two ground rods as close to the
concrete as I could. Then, I drilled through the slab and installed
my rods where the shack would up going, on the other side of the
basement, away from the utility stuff. BTW, I sealed the hole around
the rods with some silicone caulk and have never had a leak around
them. I have had water in the basement on occasion after very heavy
rains, but never did it come through the sealed ground rod hole.
Moral of the story - if you're building a house, put the ground rods
in first, and make sure you ask where all the basement fixtures are
going.
Barry, W2UP--
Barry Kutner, W2UP              Internet: w2up at mindspring.com