[CQ-Contest] CQ WW Packet Use Statement

Bill Tippett btippett at alum.mit.edu
Wed Jul 30 07:21:23 EDT 2003

	From page 102, August 2003 CQ Magazine:

"Over the last several years the CQ WW Contest Committee has
developed software that allows the detection of packet use.  Thanks
to the cooperation of all the major packet services, we  were able to
create a massive file of all packet call-outs during the CQ WW SSB
test.  This year we checked all 4100 SSB logs against this packet
file.  The results are very heartening.  Only 12 logs were reclassified.
Since the CQ WW is the first contest to analyze logs in this manner,
we have had to develop some ways to deal with packet misuse. The
first step is a letter of inquiry asking the entrant if he used packet and
forgot to indicate the proper category in the summary information.
This usually solves the problem, being that most misclassifications are
human errors of omission.  After a second year of not claiming the use
of packet, a warning letter is sent.  Thereafter, the entrant's log will
become a checklog.  First and second violations lead to proper
classification as Assisted.  Third violations cause the logs to become
checklogs.  It is easy to avoid any problems: Claim the category you
actually entered.  It is that simple."

	Once again, KUDOS to the CQ WW Committee for taking a
stand on this!

					73,  Bill  W4ZV