[CQ-Contest] Packet

Jay Pryor jpryor at uga.edu
Mon Jun 2 15:31:49 EDT 2003

At 11:37 AM 6/18/2003, Bruce Sawyer wrote:
>G4BUO wrote:
>
> >>Just make it legal to everybody.
> >>This was done in Germany with the WAE-Contest very successfully.
>
> >I disagree that it was successful. A lot of us stopped entering
> >the WAE contest when DARC took this step. Packet assistance
> >is fundamentally different from single operator. You're benefitting
> >from hundreds of people tuning the bands and finding stations
> >for you to work. This is what makes it essentially different from
> >other technological assistance such as auto band switching,
> >memory keyers, SO2R, etc.
>
>I agree completely with Dave's comments (though not with his spelling :-) ).
>The Russian DX Contest is another event which allows unlimited use of
>packet, and after my less-than-happy experience with that event this past
>March I think I'll pass in the future on contests (such as RDXC and WAE)
>which allow single-ops to use packet.  The problem, as usual, was that I had
>lots of calls from people who really could not hear me but knew I was there
>because their little computer screen told them so.  This really can become
>quite tiring.  RDXC and WAE could be great contests otherwise, were it not
>for this particular "feature".
>
>Bruce, N6NT/ZF2NT

I want to echo K9GY's sentiments that those of you who are skipping the WAE
simply because they allow the use of packet are missing a great way to
spend a couple of summer weekends.  You might be surprised at how well you
can do, and more importantly how much fun you can have, even if you don't
know what a packet screen looks like.

- Jay, K4OGG