[CQ-Contest] Re: Just say no

Kenneth E. Harker kharker at cs.utexas.edu
Tue Jun 3 08:56:53 EDT 2003

On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 08:33:30AM -0000, Marijan Miletic, S56A wrote:

> YM like 9A6XX take new technology at an apparent value while OM resist it as
> much as possible trying to preserve their advantage of experience.

I think this is a pretty silly generalization to make based upon a single
individual.  Take me as a counter example.  I've recently turned 30, but I've
been a contester for almost 9 years.  I've never done a radio contest that
involved paper dupe sheets or one that was not influenced in one way or
another by packet.

I consider computer logging programs an excellent value and addition to
the sport.  I think packet, on the other hand, has done a lot of damage to
the sport, and was a very regrettable unfortunate bad development.  Not
every new technology is good.

The _vast_ majority of hams using packet (at least in North America) are
over 50 years old.

Kenneth E. Harker      "Vox Clamantis in Deserto"      kharker at cs.utexas.edu
University of Texas at Austin                   Amateur Radio Callsign: WM5R
Department of the Computer Sciences          Central Texas DX & Contest Club
Taylor Hall TAY 2.124                         Maintainer of Linux on Laptops