[CQ-Contest] Re: Just say no

Kenneth E. Harker kharker at cs.utexas.edu
Tue Jun 3 11:59:07 EDT 2003

On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 09:53:39AM -0600, Sylvan Katz wrote:
> > The _vast_ majority of hams using packet (at least in North America) are
> > over 50 years old.
>
> Now this is an interesting generalization! I sure would like to see some
> evidence for this notion. Intuitively one might expect that the
> "_vast_majority" are under the age of 50 :-)

Well, it's at least as likely a generalization as saying that because this
one young Croatian contester likes packet, all young radio contesters are
eagerly embracing packet as a part of contesting.  :-)

In my contest/DX club, a majority of the membership is over 50 years old.

Kenneth E. Harker      "Vox Clamantis in Deserto"      kharker at cs.utexas.edu
University of Texas at Austin                   Amateur Radio Callsign: WM5R
Department of the Computer Sciences          Central Texas DX & Contest Club
Taylor Hall TAY 2.124                         Maintainer of Linux on Laptops