[CQ-Contest] Packet - THE solution

ve4xt at mb.sympatico.ca ve4xt at mb.sympatico.ca
Wed Jun 4 10:33:20 EDT 2003

Hi Richard,
I think the main point this whole discussion illustrates is this:

Rate is king! If you build it, mults will come.

I think the key to doing well as Assisted is to not let packet take your
eyes off that idea. Sure,maybe you miss the VK0 by not chasing every spot,
but if keeping rate up means you not only work more Qs but also pick up two
other mults instead...

CT shows Mins per mult, which is a calculation of how much time you can
afford to lose based on your rate at that time and break even. At good
rates, that number, in the beginning at least, is very small.

I think the assisted category serves those who like the tech, like padding
their personal country totals or for other reasons really like to chase
mults. I think that there are so few exceptions to the
unassisted-beats-assisted idea suggests packet is not the key to winning.

I would suggest that for that reason, we can fret a little less about those
who would cheat by taking spots. I still think self-spotting amounts to
using non-amateur means to solicit contacts, however.

73, kelly
ve4xt