[CQ-Contest] A contest that is welcomed?

Tree tree at kkn.net
Fri Jun 6 15:27:00 EDT 2003

Wouldn't it be cool if you could operate a phone contest where everyone on
the band was in the contest - and there weren't any nets, SSTV, pig farmers
or even Indonesian fishing boats?  How about plenty of room and everyone
spreads out to 5 kHz spacing?

What if you tuned around the bands a week or two before the contest, and all
you heard were people getting ready for the contest?

Let's make it an even better fantasy - what if you could have surprise
openings that couldn't be predicted, that resulted in rates well over
100/hour.  There might even be history making openings to Europe or Asia.

Imagine working VY1JA as your first QSO, and then finding out you were his
only QSO?

Does this sound exciting?  Would this be a nice relief from banging out QSOs
on 20 meters?

Well, such a world exists my friend.  Verily I tell you that it is waiting for
you to join us.

The June VHF contest in coming up in 8 days.  Many of us now have radios that
cover one or two (or even 3) VHF/UHF bands.  The rest of you can get a TenTec
transverter for under $100 and join the fun.

It really is a kick being in a contest where everyone wants to work you...

Rules on the ARRL web page.

See you there - I'll be on 5 bands this year for the first time.

Tree N6TR
tree at kkn.net

PS: Last year, VY1JA was my first QSO, and he got a phone call right after
it.  By the time he got back from the call, the band was dead.  Two years
ago, I worked 12 Europeans during an opening that maybe happens once every
50 years.  Also, last year, my 200 mw beacon was heard 1000 miles away, on
432 MHz.