[CQ-Contest] PACKET

N7MAL N7MAL at CITLINK.NET
Fri Jun 13 04:16:12 EDT 2003

I knew if I waited long enough before jumping back in someone, somewhere,
would make a defining statement and Good Ole Tom W7WHY did.

"""If you are using packet, you have ~1000 people doing the hunting and
finding
multipliers for you, so you don't have to go looking for them on your
own.""""

The whole purpose of a contest is for you the contest operator to pit your
skills against all the other competitors skills. There is no skill involved
in watching a packet screen to tell you what frequency to go to and find a
contact. The only thing you have proven is you have achieved a basic reading
level and you have enough manual dexterity to turn the knob on a radio. You
will have proven, by using packet,  beyond any reasonable doubt you ARE NOT
a skillful contest operator, you are not a contester at all.

On 10 June N7MAL, that's me, wrote, and I stand by it:

"""What is the solution, it's simple: All USA domestic contest sponsors
'MUST'
outlaw packet for everyone. If there are no categories, or advantage, for
packet then packet spots should dry up. There also needs to be cooperation
from the packet sysops to turn-off USA domestic spots. Will it happen NO,
why, because the ARRL and CQ are both so paranoid they will not do anything
that could possibly have a negative impact on subscriptions. State QSO
parties and packet sysops won't stop the spotting because they don't want
the hassles from the packet community 'individuals'. Of course, as we all
know some of the 'individuals' are packet sysops.
Someone needs to take the first step, maybe a progressive contest group,
like CQP could be the first.

I can dream can't I ???????????""""

MAL                N7MAL
BULLHEAD CITY, AZ