[CQ-Contest] PACKET

Nat Heatwole nat at ajheatwole.com
Fri Jun 13 23:01:54 EDT 2003

N7MAL wrote:

> There is no skill involved
> in watching a packet screen to tell you what frequency to go to and
find a
> contact. The only thing you have proven is you have achieved a basic
reading
> level and you have enough manual dexterity to turn the knob on a
radio. You
> will have proven, by using packet,  beyond any reasonable doubt you
ARE NOT
> a skillful contest operator, you are not a contester at all.

Funny, as I understand it, packet can't *WORK* people for you. Call me
old-fashioned, but working people efficiently still requires skill. In
fact, it takes a lot of skill, especially when you are running, which is
the majority of the time for most serious assisted ops. If, as you say,
"by using packet, beyond any reasonable doubt you ARE NOT a skillful
contest operator," this means that people like K3WW and KI1G are not
stilled contesters at all. Such an assertion reeks of falsehood.

73, Nat, WZ3AR
<nat at ajheatwole.com>