[CQ-Contest] Some comments about WPX CW

Eugene Walsh eugenewalsh at msn.com
Mon Jun 16 03:45:57 EDT 2003

DE N2AA.......PSE..

..Allow me some comments about my first serious single op
effort in some years.  I learned a few things about
myself that had never been as overt in the past.  These
things will eventually effect everyone here.

This was unprepared; the possibility of being away
surfaced on Wednesday, and I suspected that N2RM,
who has been preoccupied with family things, had not
fully manned the station.  Bob graciously agreed to go
check things out on Wednesday evening for a single
band effort.  The contesting lamp was lighted on Thursday.

Friday the trip to N2NC to get the keys, keyer and various
patch cords took 2.5 hours, instead of the
usual 45 minutes, due to holiday traffic.  RMs took
another 3 hours for the same reason.  The result;
NO SLEEP prior to contest.

Conditions were FB on 20.  After 6 hours I was
unable to continue due to fatigue.  I fell asleep for
3.5 hours and at 0930 the band was red hot!
I kept falling asleep for 2-3-4 minutes at a time.
Finally quit again for a spell.  At 12 hours op time it
seemed that 2k QSOs was possible.

Sunday morning I was so tired that I actually had
pain in my legs and arms.  I went down to Mays
Landing and picked up the NY Times - the
crossword puzzle got me through the slow afternoon.

This was the most difficult (Physically) contest I have ever
participated in.  It is hard to imagine what a CQWW, with a
24 hour band (Or SOAB) and no rest periods, would now be
like.  It would have been easier with preparation, lots of
pre-contest sleep and careful thought as to sleep hours.

Gives me new insight into what K3ZO (The George Blanda of
Contesting!), K6NA, N6AA, N6TJ and others who do it year after
year have to think about in keeping the machinery going.
It is not trivial.

I am not 100 pct sure that I could do this again really
seriously (Single op), but I hope to try.  It was a fabulous time -
a total disconnect from all else.

My sincere thanks to Bob N2RM and John N2NC for
making it go.

73 Gene N2AA

 The top ten things to prepare for:  Fast Forward to #1
  It is hard to hold the frequency if you have to leave the room!