[CQ-Contest] Blood Clots

Jim Monahan K1PX at msn.com
Tue Jun 17 00:52:41 EDT 2003

Reflectees:

While I'm reluctant to mention medical situations on this reflector, there seems to be
some interest in this subject.

After a number of clots in both legs over the last 20 years, which included a pulmonary
embolism (clot in the lung), a recently discovered genetic blood disorder called
Factor Five Leiden Mutation, which increases clotting susceptibility significantly,
was determined to be the cause.

According to the hematologist, significant numbers of the population have this condition and
are generally unaware of it.

Treatment includes lifetime coumadin/warafin (blood thinning medication) and the
installation of a Greenfield filter in the main vein returning blood from the legs. This
is done with a needle insertion in the groin area and will catch most clots in case one of
them breaks free.

While this has not happened to me during a contest, a kidney stone attack reduced
my score significantly one time. Ouch!

73, Jim, K1PX

K1PX at msn.com