[CQ-Contest] Fishy E-Mail from ARRL Contest Robot

Bill Turner w7ti at ispwest.com
Thu Jun 19 08:53:47 EDT 2003

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 21:27:45 -0400, "Jamie Dupree" <ns3t at arrl.net>
wrote:

>I also deleted it right away.  Remember, if you don't
>know what it is, don't open it.  Just get rid of it.

Also, talk to your ISP.  They should have a way of filtering out
executable files before you ever get them.  My ISP does that and I get
about one or two messages a week reporting that something has been
filtered.

The malicious code writers are clever, however, and are always looking
for tricks to get around the various traps.  I have a rule not to
*ever* open an attachment unless I'm expecting it in advance.  Plain
text only, no HTML.

So far it has worked.

73, Bill W7TI