[CQ-Contest] Band Plan

Mike Gilmer, N2MG n2mg at eham.net
Fri Mar 7 20:39:17 EST 2003

I agree, Al.

A bandplan, to me, is a lot like handicapped parking.  Nothing is more
frustrating than driving around a small parking lot over and over trying to
find a place (and eventually parking illegally along a curb) because I don't
want to offend anyone by using one of several empty handicap spaces.  My old
local post office was like this.  Is it better that I park in a fire zone
rather than an unoccupied handicap spot?

When the lot is fairly empty, the dedicated spaces make sense - as do band
plans.  When at capacity, they do not.

Blindly following bandplans during a contest is the equivalent of advocating
contest free zones.  It is telling someone (those supposedly protected by
the plan) that their transmissions are more sacred than the contesters'.

40 meters is a disaster. Everyone knows it.  The bandplan is an attempt to
smooth out some of the rough spots.  It's not a "solution" - only fixing the
overall frequency allocations of 40m can come close to that.

73 Mike N2MG